Mine Closure Solutions 2014 conference took place on April 28-30, at the Parque Metalurgico Convention Center in Ouro Preto.
Mine Closure Solutions 2014 offered a forum for specialized professionals to present case studies from mines all over the world. The conference provided an invaluable opportunity for specialists and students to share their knowledge and discuss relevant topics, including technology, regulatory issues, transfer of care and custody, closure risks and liability, financing, insurance, social responsibility, community engagement and sustainable development.
“Minas Gerais” means “General Mines,” reflecting the long history of mining in the area. Delegates will have an opportunity to visit several important mines, some of them dating back 300 years.
The following were the key themes at Mine Closure Solutions 2014:
- Closure planning/ post mining sustainable land use
- Technical issues and technology including:
- Water management
- Long-term stability
- Monitoring and maintenance
- Landform engineering and
- Financial assurance and closure costs
- Long-term performance
- Geochemistry and
- Environmental issues
- Legislation and regulations
- Sustainable Development and socio-economic aspects
Who Should Attend
This conference was valuable for those involved with mine design, operations and closure, including:
- Mine companies and operators
- Engineers and geologists
- Designers of mine closure and reclamation projects
- International practitioners
- Researchers – Academics including professors and students
- Those involved with societal matters related to mine closure